Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival’s Premiere Opera and Orchestral Summer Program will be held from July 3 through August 15.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Our application deadline is May 15, 2016. However, application deadlines are fluid, but the availability of roles will likely diminish with time.
AUDITIONS: If you are applying for a principal role in one of our 3 opera productions, YOU MUST send a video of your aria to email@example.com. We will meet in NYC to run through these roles in May (date TBD). You must be off book by then. If you cannot make it to NYC, we will organize a Skype session where you must sing through the role.
Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival is a premiere Opera Summer Program and brings important artistic growth opportunities to its participants. Opera singers, orchestra musicians, conductors, stage directors and managers – all have the chance to collaborate in the production of a top operatic festival, important training for aspiring artists.
Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival’s program gives training opportunities to:
- Opera singers seeking to perfect their vocal and artistic abilities and wishing to perform in operatic roles
- Opera singers seeking technical and artistic development, but not interested in performing in the opera festival
- Orchestra musicians will have the opportunity to perform both in opera and in symphonic concerts.
- Assistant conductors and stage directors have the opportunity to collaborate with conductors and directors that have worked with major opera companies, including Metropolitan Opera, Sydney Opera, La Scala, etc
Work in a collaborative way with your mentor and develop a greater understanding of both artistic and practical aspects of your art.
Singers work daily with your vocal instructor and coaches for a minimum of 90 minutes of individual work; work also on staging for opera and preparation for concerts.
Orchestra musicians will work daily in preparation of both opera and symphonic repertoire.
Assistant Conductors will help Maestri in preparation for Opera and Symphonic repertoire and have opportunities to put in practice what they learn in shows.
Assistant Directors and Stage Managers will work in collaboration with our directors in producing our shows.
2016 Festival Schedule includes:
- La Traviata by Giuseppe Verdi
- Cavalleria Rusticana by Pietro Mascagni
- Gianni Schicchi by Giacomo Puccini
- Symphonic program (Symphonie Fantastique – H. Berlioz, remaining TBD)
- Opera concerts
- Song concerts
Every opera will be presented 5 times (potentially with 5 different casts depending on number of qualified participants). Every role will also have a cover. Every artist, when not performing assigned role, will participate in reduced chorus of Traviata and Cavalleria Rusticana together with the Choral Society of Caltagirone. We will provide parts and cuts and every singer must arrive at MOSF completely off book with assigned roles and with assigned chorus music.
(Plan A Vocalists) $5,900 [includes all meals at our facility, housing (single occupancy), laundry service, transportation to and from airport*, vocal studies and coaching, masterclasses, all performances, transportation to MOS events, tickets for cultural excursions, language course]
(Plan B Vocalists) $5,100[does not include housing or meals, includes all other]
(Auditing Only) $3,500 [Includes all of plan A except studies. These participants will audit all MOS events.]
Assistant Conductors: $3,500 (Includes benefits of Plan A)
Stage Managers/Assistant Directors: $3,500 (Includes benefits of Plan A)
Orchestra musicians selected will not pay tuition. They will receive all of the above benefits. They will have to pay for their own airfare to Catania.
First segment of tuition is the non refundable housing deposit of $1,000 to be paid within 5 days off acceptance of your application.
$2,500 will be due by February 1st. If you enroll after February 1st, then this portion will be due with housing deposit (total $3,500) within 5 days of acceptance of your application.
Balance of tuition will be due by May 15, 2016.
(We have a Tuition Payment Portal available here. We suggest payment through check to avoid fees for PayPal usage.)
Failure to follow timetable of tuition payment may result in your exclusion from program.
* In order to be eligible for airport transportation, you must arrive within a specific window on check in day
Rough Preliminary Schedule
- Arrival Catania Fontanarossa July 3, pickup at 3:00pm
- Program starts Monday July 4 (including orchestra rehearsals)
- Studies, staging, etc., 4 days per week
- weekly tourism
- shows start 4th week
- Departure Fontanarossa August 15th.
Leave a Reply