DATE: Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival Summer Program will be held from June 25 through August 5, 2018 (Arrival Catania Fontanarossa Airport June 24th, and departure August 6th).
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Our extended application deadline is May 1st, 2018. While deadlines may be flexible, the availability of roles has significantly diminished. Apply ASAP to secure a role if you are interested in one.
AUDITIONS: If you are applying for a principal role in one of our opera productions, YOU MUST send a video of you singing the aria from your selected role. However, even if accepted for the role, you must send by June 1 a video of the entire role OFF BOOK to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to do so will automatically disqualify you from singing the role. The video is simply proof that you are off book.
Opera singers, orchestra musicians, conductors, stage directors and managers – all have the chance to collaborate in bringing to life the MOS Festival in Eastern Sicily. MOSF is first and foremost a training program. Our training program has the goal of preparing artists for Opera, and not solely giving performance opportunities. Performing is part of our training, but not the essential ingredient.
Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival’s program gives training opportunities to:
- Opera singers seeking to perfect their vocal and artistic abilities and wishing to perform in opera roles
- Opera singers seeking technical and artistic development, but not interested in performing in the opera festival
- Orchestra musicians seeking the opportunity to expand their experience and understanding of opera and the differences between opera orchestras and non.
- Assistant conductors and stage directors have the opportunity to collaborate with conductors and directors that have worked with major opera companies to bring to life our productions and play an active role in their realization.
Work in a collaborative way with your mentor and develop a greater understanding of both artistic and practical aspects of your art.
2018 Festival Schedule includes:
- Madama Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini
- L’elisir d’amore by Gaetano Donizetti
- Le Nozze di Figaro by W.A. Mozart
- Opera concerts featuring selections from operas
- Opera overtures, chamber music, and solo pieces for orchestra and orchestra members.
Singers will receive assignments to roles in their welcome letter. Failure to arrive off book will automatically disqualify you from participation as a lead singer in productions. In any professional setting, showing up without knowing your part is grounds for immediate termination from your contract. We seek to impress on the minds of our singers essential work ethic.
ALL PARTICIPATION AS LEAD ROLE SINGERS IS ENTIRELY AT THE DISCRETION OF MOSF. You are selected to sing a role, but if you are sick or the role seems at the time to be jeopardizing your long term vocal health, we will not allow you to go on stage and risk the integrity of your vocal instrument. On nights when you are not the lead singer, you are assigned to sing chorus. You must know your chorus part.
(Plan A Vocalists) $5,900 [includes breakfast and lunch at our facility every day, housing (single occupancy room), laundry service, transportation to and from airport*, all training, all performances, transportation to MOSF events, programmed tourism].
(Plan B Vocalists) $5,400[does not include housing or laundry, but includes all other – breakfast and lunch are provided]
(Auditing Only) $3,500 [Includes all of plan A except studies. These participants will audit all MOSF events.]
Assistant Conductors: $3,500 (Includes benefits of Plan A)
Stage Managers/Assistant Directors: $3,500 (Includes benefits of Plan A)
Orchestra musicians: UPDATE, thanks to a generous grant, orchestra musicians will only pay a housing fee for their room and board – a total of $300.
All participants are responsible for their own airfare to Catania.
Failure to follow timetable of tuition payment will result in your exclusion from program.
Tuition is non-refundable under any circumstances.
* In order to be eligible for airport transportation, you must arrive within a specific window on check in day as follows:
- Arrival Catania Fontanarossa Airport June 24th, pickup at 3:00pm and 7:00 pm
- Departure Fontanarossa August 6th.